The following are the instructions pertaining to your participation in the Graduation Ceremony:-
I. BEFORE GRADUATION
Each graduand must clear with the respective Department/Faculty/School/Institute upon which he/she should receive a clearance certificate from the College Registrar, if he or she does not owe any money to the University and pay a compulsory Graduation/Convocation fee of Ksh. 1,000/=. Only those graduands who will have completed paying the fees due to the University will be allowed to graduate.
B HIRE OR PURCHASE OF ACADEMIC ATTIRE
(i) The Academic attire will be available for hire from your respective College Registrars for Diploma, Bachelors, PGD and Masters programmes and from the Deputy Registrar, Central Examinations Centre for PhD graduands at a non-refundable fee of Kshs. 4,000/= per set.
(ii) Those intending to purchase the academic dress should contact the Deputy Registrar at the Central Examinations Centre, Chiromo Campus for details.
- The rehearsal is an integral part of the Graduation Ceremony.
- All Graduands intending to participate in the Ceremony must attend the Rehearsal at the Chancellor’s Court next to the Central Catering Unit (CCU).
- Movement and Photography by graduands during the rehearsal is prohibited.
D ATTTIRE FOR BOTH REHEARSAL AND GRADUATION
- All graduands must be formally dressed and in full Academic Attire.
- The tassel of the Cap must be placed on the front right-hand side prior to Graduation and turned to the front left-hand side immediately the Degree is conferred by the Chancellor.
E INVITATION CARDS
Each graduand will receive two invitation cards for two guests. The cards will be issued by the respective College Registrars and no person without a card will be allowed into the Chancellor’s Court on the Graduation Day. Children are not allowed.
II. GRADUATION DAY
Punctuality is essential for all Graduands and guests. Any graduand or guest who does not arrive at the Chancellor’s Court on time will not be allowed to participate in the Ceremony within the Court.
B SEATING ARRANGEMENTS
Seats for all the graduands are arranged and reserved by Faculty/Institute/School/Centre. Proceed to your seat at the designated time and occupy it throughout the Graduation Ceremony.
Graduands and their guests are required to take their seats between 7.00 a.m. and 8.00 a.m. No person shall be allowed into or out of the Chancellor’s Court thereafter until the end of the Ceremony.
D CONDUCT DURING THE CEREMONY
(i) Graduation is a solemn event and must be appreciated with all the seriousness attached to it. Silence must be maintained throughout the Ceremony.
(ii) Movement and photography by graduands and guests are prohibited during the Ceremony. Everyone remains seated unless instructed otherwise.
(iii) Each graduand must stand when his/her name is read/projected by the respective Dean/Director from the graduation list. The tassel of the Cap will at that time be on the front right-hand side. After conferment of the Degree by the Chancellor, all graduands will turn their tassels to the front left-hand side, bow/courtsey and sit down.
(iv) Weather: Graduands and guests are advised to bring umbrellas and raincoats should the weather be unfavourable.
III. PARKING AND ENTRY
- Vehicles for graduands and guests must be parked at Chiromo Campus under the direction of the Traffic Police. Parking is prohibited at the Main Campus or along Harry Thuku road.
- Graduands and guests are required to proceed on foot along the pavement to the Bridge, then along the Chancellor’s Court toward the Museum roundabout and then enter through their respective gates under the direction of ushers and security officers. Graduands and guests who will approach the Chancellor’s Court from the City Centre, should access it through gates located between the Court and Uhuru Highway.
- On entering the Chancellor’s Court, graduands must proceed to their respective seats while their guests are escorted by Ushers to their respective seating locations.
IV. AFTER GRADUATION
A RETURN OF HIRED ACADEMIC DRESS
All hired items must be returned not later than two weeks otherwise a surcharge of Kshs.100/= per day will be levied on all items not returned by that date.
(i) All Diplomas, Bachelors and Masters Degree certificates will be available for collection from the Central Examinations Centre, Chiromo Campus one and a half (1½) months after graduation as will be advertised in the local dailies. Doctoral Certificates will be issued upon conferment of the degree on the graduation day.
(ii) The name on the degree certificate will be in the order of First name, Middle name and Surname. (Note that order of names in the academic transcript is by Surname, First name and Middle name). Graduates must ensure that their names are correctly spelt before graduation as alterations will not be acceptable after the degree certificate has been written. Use of initials is discouraged.
(iii) Certificates must be safely kept as duplicates are never issued.
C STORAGE CHARGES
Every graduate must collect his/her certificate by the date announced in the local daily newspapers. Any certificate not collected by this date will be liable to a storage charge of Ksh. 1,000.00 per year (or part thereof) from the closing date.